What is Signal?
Signal is an instant messaging app focused mainly on user privacy and security. It was created by computer security specialist Moxie Marlinspike and robotics specialist Stuart Anderson to initially launch as TextSecure in 2010, to finally be Signal in 2014.
With Signal you can send text messages, images, audios, and files to your contacts, but it also has features that are widely used as groups or video calls, both individual and in groups.
Some messaging apps like WhatsApp are known to collect metadata , and have been leaked to Facebook on purpose, for example. Signal has been designed to end-to-end encrypt messages, but also all information that is stored locally.
The application became known when Edward Snowden claims that it is the application he uses to chat with his contacts. And in the wake of Facebook, a growing crowd is increasingly concerned about security.
Signal has received the highest rating from the EFF for secure messaging apps, along with secret telegram chats and other apps. It is also the application recommended by the European Commission.
In addition to privacy, security is a priority. For this, Signal uses its own communications protocol to encrypt your messages called Whispers Systems, which encrypts the sender’s message to later decrypt it at the receiver, preventing any interceptor from taking over the content. This protocol is so good that WhatsApp uses it for its application.
Why is Signal more secure?
The key to its security does not reside as many people think of its end-to-end encryption, since applications such as WhatsApp already implement it. What really makes Signal safe is its transparency for users, being open source and visible to anyone.
Signal for PC
To run Signal on your PC, you have two options, use the desktop version, or use the native mobile application. The latter has all the functionalities since Signal has been originally developed for mobile systems. So if you choose this option and want to install Signal for Android on your PC, follow the instructions I’m going to give you.
- Sending photos, audio, files and stickers.
- It is free.
- It is open source.
- End-to-end encrypted messages.
- Video call by VOIP.
- Creation and management of groups.
- Encrypted local information.
- Protection against screenshots.
- Messages that self-destruct.
- Biometric protection.
- Possibility of hiding the phone number.
Steps to download and install Signal on PC
- Download and install BlueStacks on your PC.
- Complete the login for accessing Google Play Store, or do it later.
- Search for Signal in the search bar in the upper right corner and install it.
- Complete your Google login (if you skipped step 2) to install Signal.
- Click on the Signal icon on the Bluestacks home screen to open the app.
Download BlueStacks for PC or Mac
- Title : BlueStacks App Player 5.4
- File Name : BlueStacksInstaller_5.4.170_native.exe
- File size : 1.1MB (1,190,024 bytes)
- Requirements : Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (Works on all versions) or MacOS
- Languages : Multiple languages
- License : Freeware
- Developer : Bluestack Systems Inc.
- Official page : www.bluestacks.com
Support : https://support.signal.org/hc/