In this instructive guide I am going to show you how you can install Google Meet for PC without having a PC application available today. If you don’t believe me, read the article to the end.
What is Google Meet?
Google Meet is a video calling service created by Google created in 2017, as a replacement for Hangouts. Launched for IOS and Android, it allows video calls with up to 30 participants. At the beggining it was conceived as a business version of Hangouts, but due to its popularity right now it is already a substitute.
The app is one of the most downloaded video conferencing applications in the world and is only compared to Zoom. Its use grew a lot during the COVID-19 pandemic due to the large increase in teleworking.
Its use is free, but it has advantages if you have G Suite, G Suite Business or G Suite Enterprise. As for example increasing the members of the video call or having a time limitation greater than 60 minutes.
Any free user requires a google account to use the app, and you can start Meet from Gmail. Calls have a time limit of 1 hour, and administrators are free to block or kick users from video calls.
Among some of the functionalities Google Meet has a noise cancellation filter, a low light mode for places with low light, and a view of 16 simultaneous participants per page. You can also generate subtitles automatically thanks to AI.
Is Google Meet safe?
To begin with, the host has full access control of the meetings. To be able to join one of them you have to have their invitation, which is a unique link, by which the participants request to join and are approved or not.
But also the security of Google Meet is quite high, since it complies with the IETF and SRTP protocols. The application encrypts calls through an encryption key of 25 characters that is not stored, and sends each person a link only video (limited duration).
Experts consider Google Meet safer than its competitor Zoom. It also works directly in the browser, which means that it does not need additional plugins (which limits third-party attack).
Google Meet features
- High security.
- From 30 users per call (free version) to 250 users (G Suite Enterprise).
- Maximum duration of 1 hour (free version).
- Available in application and web service.
- Integration with Google calendar.
- Subtitles generated in real time by AI.
- Allows screen sharing.
- Possibility of recording with G Suite.
Does Google Meet for PC exist?
Google Meet does not have a desktop application for PC or Mac, so you only have the web version to access. If you want to install Google Meet for PC you need to do it with the Bluestacks application. Follow the instructions below.
Steps to download and install Google Meet on PC
- Download and install BlueStacks on your PC.
- Complete the login for accessing Google Play Store, or do it later.
- Search for Google Meet in the search bar in the upper right corner and install it.
- Complete your Google login (if you skipped step 2) to install Google Meet.
- Click the Google Meet icon on the Bluestacks home screen to open the app.